Monday 10 January 2011

De-Fendi of the Earth

This last week I've been on the hunt for a new bag. Back in November I had my backpack stolen in a pub in Soho (annoyingly one of my favourite Sam Smiths; the Glasshouse Stores on Brewer Street). It wasn't expensive - in fact it was only £17 from an agricultural supplier - but the stuff inside was priceless to me. Ancient Moleskines, my diary, my Comme wallet, my iPod, a Westwood scarf that was a gift from an old friend and trinkets from holidays past - I was not a happy bunny when that happened. It did however prompt me to reconsider what I carry around: I might love my old notebooks, but it's not worth carrying around ten years of notes and mementoes on a daily basis if it's going to be stolen. Your memories are worth more than that. Aaaanyway. I'm kind of into rucksacks at the moment, but I'm avoiding anything too 'Hackney heritage farmer'. Unfortunately, that rules out just about everything apart from Givenchy's fantastic studded leather backpack from a couple of seasons ago. Luckily, back in September I chanced across this oldskool backpack in a slightly ridiculous geometric pattern. It's pretty striking (to say the least) and is also, apparently vintage Fendi. I've got a hunch that it's actually a children's rucksack, but it just about fits an A4 folder in, and that makes it practical in my book, so I've started using it for work. The size also means that I've also been carrying it like a clutch bag, which feels surprisingly comfortable; like a big, jazzy document wallet, rather than a rucksack. Alright, so it's pretty Hackney, but at least I don't look like I'm going on a ten mile hike in 1922, when I'm actually going to the office (far from it: I look like an 8-year old Italian exchange student). What I want is a kind of simple, unstructured leather knapsack (unfortunately missed out on the recent Gaspard Yurkievich collab), in a nice tan colour, but it's been pretty fruitless so far. The Fendi will do me for now (it's a hard life, innit?), and while it might not be a Staple, it's definitely MY Staple of the moment. If you happen to come across any rucksacks that are anything like, then do let me know. Here's a few more Staples from this week:
Wolf & Lamb vs. Soul Clap's DJ Kicks compilation
A chilled bottle of Corona
Finally having the right prescription in my black Prada glasses frames
Bargain homewares from Argos & Matalan (I know!)
Leon chocolate brownies (yep, again)
Rearranging the living room
THINGSORGANIZEDNEATLY

1 comment:

Matthew Spade said...

well i had a similar experience last week, left my backpack(strange eh) at my semi local pub, that's where i last rememeber having it. we moved on to another pub and only realised when someone asked if they could borrow some headphone. then it sank it, i felt horrible that whole night and hardly slept.

there wasn't loads in it, ipod touch/camera/notepad/pen and some tablets. i rang them up at 10 the next morning and thankfully they had it behind the bar. lucky for me it wasn't busy or i think someone would have nabbed it. sorry to hear yours didn't turn up though, that's shit.

this is a jazzfest for sure. i've seen a couple of backpacks but i think they're prob a bit too oi polloi for you. prob with leather ones though, they get mega heavy.